Southern Filibuster- A Tribute to Tut Taylor
Tut Taylor has a unique playing style and a gift for writing catchy, playable tunes for the dobro. He's in his late 80s now and dobro master Jerry Douglas decided it was time to pay tribute to Tut's contributions to the dobro repertoire. I am proud to be among the pickers he invited to play on this disc and, if you like dobro music, you'll be hard pressed to find a cooler album than this. Jerry said, "Everybody on this record is just a great player and they’re the cream of the crop when it comes to playing the Dobro guitar. The people on this Tut Taylor tribute record are the best that there are on the planet."
1. Southern Filibuster JERRY DOUGLAS 2. Swampwater BILLY CARDINE 3. Dobro Country MICHAEL WITCHER 4. Ghost Picker ORVILLE JOHNSON 5. Black Ridge Ramble CURTIS BURCH 6. Oasis ROB ICKES 7. Little Green Pill CINDY CASHDOLLAR 8. This Ain't Grass MIKE AULDRIDGE 9. Me and My Dobro FERRELL STOWE 10. Oozin' The Blues RANDY KOHRS 11.Acoustic Toothpick PHIL LEADBETTER 12. Resophonic Guitar ANDY HALL 13. Reso Fandango MEGAN LOVELL 14 . Stevens Steel IVAN ROSENBERG
You can get this at iTunes, Amazon, or if you'd like to order directly from me, see the How to Order page.
We Heard the Voice of a Porkchop NEW!!!
The latest, greatest in country blues stylings by three of the best, Orville Johnson, John Miller, and Grant Dermody. Covering folks like Blind Willie Johnson and Mance Lipscomb, ferreting out the finest traditional blues and making up a couple of their own, the boys bring it with them when they come. Music critics and lovers of fine southern cuisine would call this album "savory".
1. Rain Don't Fall 2. Take Me Back 3. I'm Behind the Eight Ball Now 4. I Heard the Voice of a Porkchop 5. Motherless Child 6. Blackbird Blues 7. Down to the Hills 8. I'd Do It All Again 9. I'm Gonna Sit at the Welcome Table 10. Your Place Is Here with Me 11. I Shall Not Be Moved
This album is half vocal tunes and half instrumentals featuring my dobro playing. I cover songs by John Hartford, Bill Monroe, Leonard Bernstein, Mick Jagger, among others, and I wrote one myself. Two of my all-time favorite dobroists Mike Auldridge and Stacy Phillips join me for some fun on cuts 2 (Stacy) and 6 (Mike). Music critics would call this album "eclectic".
1. Imitation of the Blues, 2. Dobro Rhumba, 3. Somewhere (West Side Story), 4. You Are the One, 5. A Lua do Amazonia, 6. Rocky Road Blues, 7. As Tears Go By, 8. Yazoo City Jail, 9. Waggy Tail, 10. Today
Blueprint for the Blues
My tribute to the great country blues artists that inspired me in my early years of playing. I have songs here by Son House, Rev. Gary Davis, Willie Dixon, Henry Townsend, and more, plus a few originals. Music critics would call this album "finger lickin' good".
1. Grinnin' in Your Face, 2. Good Understanding, 3. Tired Chicken Blues, 4. Rainy City Blues, 5. God's Gonna Ease My Troublin' Mind, 6. The Other Side of Life, 7. My Sweet Octoroon, 8. If You Need Me, 9. The Last Meal, 10. Death Don't Have No Mercy, 11. Tears Come Rollin' Down, 12. Tell Old Bill, 13. Blueprint for the Blues
Slide & Joy
This is my all-instrumental CD featuring my dobro stylings. Many genres are represented including blues, jazz, bluegrass, N'Awlins second-line party groove, Celtic, and some originals. I have an all-star cast of outstanding pickers joining with me. Music critics would call this album "dazzling".
1. Mardi March, 2. Old Riverman, 3. Bad Self, 4. Walker's Air, 5. Mambolaya, 6. Fried Onions, 7. Zebadiah Stomp, 8. First Song, 9. Weeping Cedar, 10. Squirrel's Revenge, 11. Splendor in Feathers
The Sweeter The Juice
Folk-funk bassist Laura Love and master country blues guitarist / dobro man Orville Johnson get together and peel the paint off the walls with their fine picking and electrifying vocals. Folk, bluegrass, gospel, spirituals, originals, stirring anthems - it's all here. Music critics would say " soul oozes from every pore of this CD and the folky-funky-hunky tunky blues will set your hair on fire!"
1. Cotton Eyed Joe / Ruby (Are You Mad At Your Man), 2. King Jesus / I'm Workin' on a Building, 3. Load Up / Eyes on the Prize, 4. Nobody's Fault But Mine, 5. Swing Low Sweet Chariot / Swing Down Chariot, 6. Passin', 7. Livin' In a Dream, 8. We Shall Not Be Moved / Stayed On Freedom, 9. When He Calls Me, 10. Yes We Can
This CD features legendary fingerstyle blues guitarist John Miller, tonemeister Grant Dermody on harmonica, and yours truly on mandolin, dobro, and rubboard. We all sing on this program of acoustic country blues recorded live in the studio in real time.
No headphones, no "studio magic", just pure heartfelt blues played by guys who love it and know it. We're all very proud of the disc. Music critics would call this one "classic country blues by contemporary masters of the artform".
1. Mother Earth, 2. Springtime Blues, 3. Stewball, 4. Some of These Days,5. Witching Hour Blues, 6. Deceiving Blues, 7. Soul of a Man, 8. Bull Doze Blues, 9. Polly Put the Kettle On, 10. Trouble in Mind, 11. Depot Blues, 12. I Will Do My Last Singing
The Kings of MongrelFolk™
The first album by Mark Graham and I as the mighty Kings of MongrelFolk™. People were startled by the audacity of such humor, puffery, and tomfoolery! I don't believe they've gotten over it yet! Music critics would call this album "pointedly fruity yet quaffable".
1. Last Words, 2. Everybody Ought to Change, 3. Blueprint for the Blues, 4. Their Brains Were Small, 5. Hoof n' Mouth, 6. Billy Gray, 7. Stormy Weather, 8. Oedipus Rex, 9. Tap Dancin' on the Moon, 10. When Love Has Gone Away, 11. Neighbor of the Beast, 12. Highlander's Farewell/Old Shoemaker/Dunbar, 13. Monkey with a Typewriter, 14. Freedom for the Stallion
Still Goin' Strong
Mark Graham and I gather up some pals and cook up another pot of MongrelFolkTM for you. Mostly original music with disturbingly colorful humor and twisted insight into the human and not-so-human condition. Music critics would call this album "puzzling".
1. Still Goin' Strong, 2. Shadrach, 3. Corn Kingdom Come, 4. The Sleeper, 5. That's No Way to Get Along, 6. Dead of Night, 7. After the Fall, 8. Come Back Baby, 9. Always Something, 10. Strange, 11. High and Lonesome, 12. Tennessee Robot
Together in Las Vegas
Woody Mann, John Cephas, and I did a gig as a trio in Las Vegas a few years ago.We had so much fun we decided to record a bunch of the music we learned for the show. I mostly play dobro so it's chock-full of my style of blues dobro, there's plenty of masterful guitaring, and we each sing a few. Music critics would call this disc "rollicking".
1. Flip Flop and Fly, 2. Soul of a Man, 3. Broke Down Engine, 4. Death Don't Have No Mercy, 5. How You Want Your Loving Done, 6. Love Crazy, 7. Jesus is Calling, 8. Richmond Blues, 9. Try Me, 10. Girl of Seven, 11. Illinois Blues, 12. Careless Love, 13. I Will Do My Last Singing
This is a creative collaboration of seven mandolin players who have joined forces to explore the boundaries of new acoustic music. The disc takes many twists and turns, ranging from high-energy tunes with traditional roots, to free-wheeling jams,to fresh arrangements of classical works, to spontaneous group improvisations. While the music is mandocentric, you'll also hear lots of violin, guitar, and I get in many licks on the dobro as well. Music critics would say "Look up eclectic in the dictionary and you'll see a picture of Mandoorphosis right there."
1.Crash, 2. Matt's Idea, 3. A Minor Squabble, 4. Impromptu Redux, 5. Santa Morena, 6. CrimeDog, 7. Zone 429, 8. Hamhock's Razor, 9. Pete's Wish, 10. Nocturne Op. 9 No. 2, 11. MandoMorphosis, 12. Out of the Furnace and Into the Fire, 13. Nero's Fiddle, 14. Dos Somorgujos, 15. Ghostown, 16. Ed, 17. Cascadia Raga
Orville Johnson & Scott Weiskopf (Law)
Scott and I made this in 1996 when we were playing together a lot. Scott's been playing with a host of great musicians and bands.
Check his website for details. I still have a few copies of this folk-funk-singer-songwriter opus left and when they're gone, by golly, they're gone! Music critics would call this album "a collector's item".
1. Rich Man's Country, 2. These Lines, 3. The Sleeper, 4. Queen Victrola, 5. Blueprint for the Blues, 6. World Will Turn, 7. She's a Mystery, 8. Stranger in Me, 9. Instead of Me, 10. Wildwood Green
Currently available only by mail order. Visit the How to Order page for instructions.
The Jo Miller & Laura Love Connection
This is the only disc I carry that isn't mine. I'm playing a lot of dobro, guitar, and mandolin, probably the most strictly bluegrass picking I have on disc. Jo and Laura sing all the tunes, mostly bluegrass standards, beautifully. Music critics would call this album "hauntingly sweet".
1. Some Old Day, 2. Blue and Lonesome, 3. What About You, 4. Dear Old Southern Home, 5. My Native Home, 6. Bury Me Beneath the Willow, 7. Blue Railroad Train, 8. My Sweet Love Ain't Around, 9. Don't You Call My Name, 10. Sittin' Alone in the Moonlight, 11. Somebody Loves You, 12. Dear Companion, 13. Everybody Leaves, 14. Old Black Mt. Trail, 15. There Ain't No Ash Will Burn, 16. Golden River
Currently available only by mail order. Visit the How to Order page for instructions.